Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pickstarter

So I started a kickstarter for the EpicGrip titanium guitar pick.  I thought I'd prepared for everything, but the one thing I didn't expect is what happened... Unqualified success. I spent a year thinking about how to get the picks made. I spent months preparing for the kickstarter, I spent weeks on the text and videos, and then the campaign went live.

And within 2 days I hit my funding goal of $5000.00.

Within four days I had blown past both stretch goals, and I began to think, perhaps I was aiming a hair too low...

I reviewed all my costs, and then began to panic. There are so many dimensions to this, and I've never done a project at this scale before... What was I not accounting for? How can this kill me?

I'm an artist. On the whole, I think about ideas, not logistics.  Luckily for everyone involved, I have smart business and accounting people in my life to double-check and keep me in line.  Having jumped into the deep end of the KS pool, I wouldn't recommend doing a Kickstarter unless you have some very organized people to fall back on. Things can rocket beyond expectations very quickly.

Clearly, these are good problems to have. But there are many dimensions to starting a business, and it's scary to put something in motion that suddenly results in people all over the world counting on you. I am having fun, I am learning tons, and I have faith that I will get everything out to everyone in a relatively timely manner, I just need to remember to breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment